Muckross Traditional Farms - County Kerry, Ireland
1. Date & Time of Visit - Afternoon of 27 July 2012
2. Business Name - Muckross Traditional Farms (please note that this review does not apply to Muckross House)
3. Business Address - Killarney, County Kerry
4. Business contact info - http://www.muckross-house.ie/traditional-farms.html
Tel. No. 00 353 (0) 64 6630804
5. Your Disability/Disabilities - N/A
6. Accessibility grade - 4
7. Reason for grade - Muckross Traditional Farms provides an interesting glimpse into the past that everyone can enjoy although people with mobility issues may encounter some difficulties because original farm buildings were not built with accessibility issues in mind.
The good: Accessible parking is provided. The gift shop/reception has ramps where needed. The park consists of a 2-km dirt road with some moderately steep hills but an accessible bus is provided.
The bad: Although a ramp and an accessible bathroom are provided in the reception house, it looked like a tight squeeze to get into the building. The bathroom back in the ‘big house’ farm looks much more accessible. I didn’t pay exact attention when I was there, but the three farm houses and the cottage are old buildings and likely might present challenges in accessibility (narrow doors, crowded rooms, etc). Signage is limited but a tour guide is generally available in each house to tell you about the people who would’ve lived there and what their lives were like (and sometimes they also provide bread baked on open fires :)). The good news is that the petting farm area is in a big modern machine shed, so everyone should be able to enjoy it.